Making Lewisham greener
Everyone enjoys our green spaces, and benefits from a healthy environment as we work to protect and improve our local environment.
Preservation of our award-winning green spaces
- We will establish a new Greening Fund to support the work of local community groups protecting and enhancing our green spaces.
- Increased use of environmentally friendly transport options
- We will work with TfL to provide a new segregated cycle route connecting Downham to Deptford.
- We will provide secure cycle storage in every neighbourhood.
- We will promote cycling through our own bike-loan scheme and dockless bike hire schemes.
- We will support extending the Ultra-Low Emission Zone so that it covers the borough and the whole of London.
- We will increase the amount of electric vehicle charging points, and develop opportunities for local business owners to access discounted electric vehicles.
- We will work with parents and schools to encourage children to walk, cycle and scoot to school away from main roads.
- We will intervene to protect our most polluted playgrounds, building on our anti-idling programme to reduce emissions in the vicinity of our schools.
- We will continue to campaign for more low-emission buses throughout our borough.
- We will work with TfL to extend the Bakerloo line.
- We will support local groups fighting to hold private rail companies to account
Better care for our local environment and the planet
- We will address the barriers that are stopping residents disposing of household waste responsibly.
- We will work with the police to target professional flytippers with prosecution.
- We will maximise opportunities for energy efficiency in all council buildings and new developments.
- We will explore working with publicly owned not-for- profit energy suppliers that do not penalise poorer residents using pre-pay meters.
- We will ban single-use plastics from Council buildings
- We will provide water fountains in parks and public spaces to reduce plastic waste.
- We will continue to support moving the Council’s pension fund away from fossil fuels-linked investments, in line with our fiduciary duties. This is in response to climate change and to protect our investments from volatile energy markets.