Giving children and young people the best start in life
All of our educational settings will be Good or Outstanding and deliver a broad curriculum
- We will continue to support our primary schools to maintain their high quality through the support of Lewisham Learning, our school-led school improvement partnership.
We will work with our secondary schools to ensure that all our schools are rated Good or better by Ofsted, supporting Lewisham Secondary Challenge.
We will support the adoption of a Lewisham Fair Workload Charter, working with schools and trade unions to attract and retain the best teachers.
We will recruit more Black, Asian and minority ethnic school governors to better reflect our diverse borough.
We will support parents in opposing all forms of selection and will provide the knowledge and support to parents, teachers and governors who are fighting academisation.
We will promote music, drama, visual arts and other artistic expression and activity across all of our schools.
- We will support schools in securing the funds they need by making the case for Lewisham schools to central government.
Children are protected from abuse and neglect
- We will improve our children’s social care services to provide support for families at the earliest opportunity.
- We will ensure that the children in our care are safe and supported to achieve the very best in life.
- We will work tirelessly with our partners to keep Lewisham’s children and young people safe from exploitation, violence and serious youth crime.
- We will work with our local communities to ensure that children and young people have early access to a strong and ambitious early help offer.
Our provision is inclusive, and children and their families can access the support they need to achieve their full potential.
- We will ensure that families from our BAME communities have equal access to care and support.
- We will work with our partners to ensure that young people transitioning into adulthood achieve the best possible outcomes in relation to education, work, healthy lives and strong community connections.
- We will protect and, where possible, strengthen the service provided by our Children and Family Centres.
- We will help families access their entitlement to free childcare, and continue to provide high-quality early years education.
- We will improve the timeliness of our Education and Health Care Plans for children with special education needs and disabilities, working positively with families.
- We will increase the provision for children with special educational needs to meet children’s learning needs within the borough.
- We will work with parents and schools to reduce exclusions.
- We will review and improve the strategies to narrow the achievement gaps that affect minority communities and poorer pupils.
- We will support more high-quality mentoring by working with community and voluntary groups and businesses to help our young people access employment opportunities.
- We will support our care leavers to stay in education, progress to higher education and take up apprenticeships and other work opportunities.
- We will continue to exempt care leavers from council tax.