Since the lake opened in July 2019, a specialist company has run activities on the lake and provided lifeguards. This was on a trial basis.
We now plan to choose a company to manage swimming and boating activities for up to five years. This was approved at a meeting of Mayor and Cabinet on 15 January.
How the lake will run in the future
There is high demand for swimming. So that we can safely manage the number of people in the water, some form of permanent boundary is needed.
We will use railing and hedging to provide a tasteful boundary.
Who will run the lake
We will ask for tenders from specialist companies with the appropriate skills and experience.
Requirements for running the lake
- All tenderers must commit to paying the London Living Wage.
- All tenderers should propose a model that provides year-round swimming.
- Swimming must be prioritised above other activities.
- An adult swim for Lewisham residents must be £5 or less (£6 for non-Lewisham residents).
- A child swim must be £3 or less for Lewisham residents (£3.50 for non-Lewisham residents).
- Operators must cover the costs for water testing at an appropriate frequency.
Invitation to tender goes live in autumn 2020.