Lewisham Culture and Diversity Advisory Forum
Lewisham believes that culture has the power to change mind sets and bring communities together.
With this in mind, we are establishing a local forum, Lewisham Culture and Diversity Advisory Forum, to advise us on how the borough can use culture to amplify black and other diverse voices, and celebrate how Lewisham is strengthened by its diversity.
The central theme for our Borough of Culture bid is Cultural Activism, harnessing the power of culture to change lives.
Lewisham prides itself as an open borough that celebrates diversity and has a history of standing up against racism. The Black Lives Matter movement has raised questions around monuments, plaques and street names around the borough. Ahead of our Borough of Culture year – now planned for 2022 – we want to reconsider how we express Lewisham’s heritage through our public spaces.
Amplifying diverse voices
The purpose of the forum is to advise Lewisham Council on how the borough can use culture to amplify black and other diverse voices and celebrate how Lewisham is strengthened by its diversity. This will include:
- Considering public requests to review aspects of the borough’s public realm and make recommendations into what legacies should be celebrated in Lewisham to improve the diversity of the borough’s public realm. This will feed into the GLA Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm
- Advising how Lewisham can use the Borough of Culture 2022 to increase our understanding of Lewisham’s diverse heritage and history of standing up against racism and inequality
- Advising on the development of the Borough of Culture 2022 programme to ensure that it fully celebrates Lewisham’s diversity
- Advising on how we can improve pathways and progression routes for young people from backgrounds currently under-represented within London’s cultural and creative sectors.
The forum will be chaired by Lewisham's Cabinet Member for Culture and will include:
- five local councillors to represent the views of Lewisham communities and residents
- eight cultural professionals to bring expertise on heritage and cultural best practice in relation to culture and diversity in Lewisham. The cultural professionals will be paid an attendance fee of £100 per forum meeting.
The forum will meet on a quarterly basis until 31 March 2022 in the first instance. Members of the forum will be asked to serve until this time. Meetings will be held online initially to ensure that they are COVID-19 Secure but the forum will have the ability to decide where future meetings will be convened.
Declaration of Interest
If you have the cultural expertise and would like apply, email email@example.com to request an application pack. The closing date for applications is Friday 4 September.
Lewisham Council staff will not be eligible to become paid forum members.